Sunday, October 25, 2009

Howie & I Survived Roswell




Words cant describe how good it feels to be back in Little Rock - to be home, to have Howie home. We got back today around noon after spending the week in Roswell, New Mexico. Day after day, it never ceases to amaze me how different life is with Howie. Not a bad different or good different, just different. He rules how I spend my every minute. When I go to bed, when I wake up, how much time I spend working, and how much time I spend doing anything else. Or at least, it does for now. Its interesting, not knowing what life will look like in a year, after Howie's grown up a bit. And at the same time, since I'm a person that lives so much in the moment, there's a lot of temptation for me right now to be scared and stressed thinking about the next year. Though most of the time I actually do enjoy the work I do, the travel has never been the best part (even if it does mean extra money). And even though I know Howie will adjust to all the moving around, this first trip to Roswell has put a lot of hard thoughts in my head. We started out at the Days Inn. I've stayed at decent Days Inn before, so I thought we'd be fine. But this place... the toilet was clogged & they couldnt get ahold of anyone to come fix it, nor did they immediately offer to move me (that was more of a last-minute move on their part). Also, the floor was disgusting - my and howie's feet were black after just spending a short time there. Luckily, the La Quinta Inn & Suites also allowed pets and so Howie & I moved and it was much better. Last night coming home, we stopped in Oklahoma City - stayed at a La Quinta Inn [not and Suites - makes a big difference!]. anyway, i guess i'd had it in my head that hotels that accept pets arent as nice but i didnt equate that with them being dirty. or moreso filthy. So last night, for example, I was extremely preoccupied with everything Howie was finding on the hotel room floor. eek. sooo, yeah. lots to think about. on the up side, Howie's teaching me a lot right now. Trying to learn how to take care of him, how to pay attention to what he needs and, even as a dog, is trying to tell me. He's changed the way I look at life, and the future. Other than my family, he's the first thing to come into my life that I know for sure will be here for at least the next 10 years. that makes me think about the future of my job, my life-marriage, kids, etc. He kind of has me looking at things differently - who would've thought a pup would be part of wanting to settle down. odd how people change as they grow up. not that i can think of specifics, but i remember even just 5 or 10 years ago, thinking i didnt understand why adults acted certain ways, but now i'm starting to see certain things.. just need to find some time to actually come up with specific things :)

i just thought this was too cute. i'm still trying to figure out what habits are good and which are not, and then how to cure the bad ones, but in the meantime, i'm glad there are definitely lots of moments that i just love this pup like crazy - they completely outweigh the times he's being a bad, bad dog!
(and the pics above... the first is howie with a new bone - he was excited; if you look closely, you can see his tongue out to the side! he was licking his lips :) the next is a rare shot of howie sitting still enough for me to take a picture of him sometime other than when he's sleeping! and the last is what normally happens when i try to take a picture of howie awake!

No comments:

Post a Comment